The Google Admin requires creating multiple Google groups regularly as a part of the organizational requirement and a set default group setting for new groups saves time for the admin. So, some default group settings need to be set for these groups, but from where to set these default settings, let's have a look at some of the options. But before moving forward, let's see what are default group settings.
What is a default group setting?
The default group settings are the settings that are applied to every new group. Suppose an IT admin needs to create a group. In that case, it will be automatically applied to that group, like who can join the group, who can see members, who can view conversations, message moderation, and many other settings. You can find more group settings here.
Now let's explore the way to set the default group setting. The default group settings can be applied via Google Admin Console on the following path. Go to Admin console, Apps, Google Workspace, Groups for business, and Sharing settings. But the problem is that there are very few settings as compared to the actual settings of a group.
Now, let's see 2 more ways to set group settings, but they are not default settings for groups, rather they are applied manually to the groups.
Via Google Admin Console —
The first method is to Go to the admin console, directory, groups, click on any group name, and you will see some settings in the left panel. Here we can set access, settings, and security settings, but again most of the settings are not available here.
Via Google Group settings —
The other google groups settings page. For that, go to the URL (groups.google.com), then click on any group setting icon. You can see, there are a lot more settings as compared to Google Admin Console.
As we mentioned above, these 2 methods are not default group settings, they work manually for group.
Now suppose, if the IT admin needs to create 15 groups, he will have to change settings for every group one by one. This is a time taking and cumbersome process.
What is Foresight?
Foresight, a no-code Google Workspace Workflow Automation platform, it is a cloud-based productivity tool that allows Google Workspace admins and Google Workspace users to create automated processes and workflows without having to write any code. With the integration of no-code workflow automation, Foresight users can automate and streamline processes, saving time and increasing productivity.
Set default group settings for new Google groups with Foresight
Foresight helps to set the desired default setting whenever the admin creates a group in the admin console easily.
For this particular task, we shall be creating a group called ’Digital Marketing Interns on Feb 23’ and set the default settings with the help of Foresight for this group.
- Log in to the Foresight account with the help of your Google Admin account. Click the New rule button on the Rules page.
- Click on the Group created by admin trigger.
- Give the Foresight account the necessary permissions to access your Google Admin account. After that has been done, click on Next.
- Next, you need to select the Update group settings action.
- Here first, you may need to grant permission to Foresight.
- In the Group email field, select the Group email variable. Leave the Group name and the Description fields empty.
- Next, select the values for these fields, that are best suited according to your need. We are selecting as follows. In the Who can join group, select Invited can join variable. In the Who can view members field, select All members can view variables. And in the Who can view conversations setting field, select the All in domain can view. Choose the other settings as you like. Here is another blog post that talks about group settings in detail. Google group settings. Bulk update google group settings.
- After filling in all the fields, click on Review give the Rule name and then click on Create.
- The rule is created.
Triggering the rule
- Whenever a group is created by the admin, then this rule is triggered. So, go to the Google Admin Console, and let's create a testing group.
- On the Foresight Rules Page, you will notice that there is a new notification. Click on View Log and you can verify that the rule has been triggered.
- Now let's match the settings from Foresight and Google group settings. and see if the settings are applied correctly. In the below screenshots, the first one is the Foresight rule, where we selected the settings to apply and the second screenshot is the google group settings page.
- Foresight Settings
- Google Group Settings: Match all other settings in similar way.
With the help of Foresight, you can also perform other group-related actions. Apart from modifying default group settings, you can bulk update Google Group settings, bulk rename Google Groups and bulk delete Google Groups.
However, if you want to see its complete functionality, you can avail the free 14-day trial before purchasing this wonderful Google Workspace productivity software.