This article is written for Google Workspace administrators.
In certain business cases, your company will add some short-lived user accounts for interim contractors, interns or partners at beginning of next month. Admin Console doesn't have the ability to schedule adding users for you. You have to manually create a reminder to alert the future version of you to add these accounts. As a Google Workspace administrator, that doesn't make sense of your time. This article demonstrates how Foresight automates scheduling and adding users for you.If you have yet to install Foresight, check out this quick start.
Suppose today is Oct 12, 2022, we'd like to add 2 sales contractors Carlos Koehler and Laura Sample to our domain on Oct 18, 2022, Monday. They started working on that Monday. We don't give them accounts and access until the beginning of the 18th of Oct. We create a time-based rule on Foresight to automate user creation on Oct 18, 2022, at 12:00 am.
Step by step tutorial
- In Rules page, click the button to add a new rule. A new rule dialog will show up.
- In the select a trigger page, select Time as the trigger. Time trigger means do some actions once at future.
- In the Edit trigger page, select a future time using the date and time picker. This is the time new users will be created. Note the trigger time must be at least 15 minutes from your current time.
- Click Next.
- In the Select an action page, click Create user. This action allows you to add a single user in your Google Workspace domain.
- In the Edit actions page, input all information required to create a user, just like Admin Console does. Minimum requirements are first name, last name, password and primary email. Grant access permission as well if you didn't.
- (Optional) If you would like to add more users, click the + button at the tab. You could also delete actions by pressing the Delete Action button in the specific action tab.
- Click Review.
- In the Review page, give the rule a name for yourself to identify. Meanwhile, a visualized automation graph is generated for your comprehension.
- Click Create.
- The dialog will close and you will see a card in Rules page. By default, the rule is active when first created.
- You are all set. Take a break. Everything will be automated by Foresight.
- When the trigger time arrives, you will receive a notification in the top right of Foresight confirming with you the execution of actions as well as the results. If actions are successful, verify if users are created in your Admin Console.
Automating adding users with schedules will relieve Google Workspace administrators from excessive reminders and stress. Check out this series of articles about user management, Suspend Google Workspace users by Schedule, Delete Google Workspace users by schedule, or Automated Welcome Email to Google Workspace New Users.
Feel free to leave any comments below.