In this blog post, we will learn how to bulk force password change for users in Google Workspace. So, let's dive into it. There are several users within an organization who are using Google’s service. Everyone has a unique password for managing their Google accounts. But sometimes, maybe a user forgets their password or some security threat happens in their accounts. In these emergencies, the Admin will be responsible for changing user password for the Google admin account and making the users aware of the password change. If the Google Workspace admin needs to reset multiple users’ passwords in G-suit, he will add or update users’ info through a CSV file.
In this blog, we will learn about this topic in detail and enlighten Foresight’s automation work procedures for this purpose.
Understanding the Importance of Regular Password Changes
Regularly changing passwords is a crucial practice that helps prevent unauthorized access to user accounts. By enforcing periodic password changes, you significantly reduce the risk of compromised accounts and enhance the overall security posture of your organization.
When do you need to bulk force password change for users in Google Workspace
The IT Admin can force users to change or reset their Google accounts’ passwords to keep those accounts to be secured. Thus as an admin, you need the bulk force password change for users.
You should recommend the users to use a strong and unique password with a certain quantity of numbers and characters. This way, their data, emails, files, folders, and other contents will be safe and protected from any kind of unauthorized access.
Here are some benefits of resetting bulk force users password change in Google Workspace-
- Reset all passwords for the entire OU in Google admin console by following this method. It prevents the organizational reputation by defending it from any data loss.
- Resetting multiple users' passwords in G-suite works as a safeguard from using your password by someone else. But as an admin, you need to reset the sign-in cookies of the users after resetting a password.
- Resetting the sign-in cookies will ensure that the users are not using old passwords again.
Thus we use Google Console Bulk password reset to enhance the security of Google apps on Android iPhones, web apps, and other third-party apps.
Bulk force password change for users in Google Workspace with Foresight
Foresight is a SaaS platform that helps firms in creating complicated business workflows and automate the process without knowing any coding. So, it helps companies to streamline their work and save time and manpower. Though the Google admin console lets you perform this task with the update user option (using CSV). You can perform this task more easily with Foresight. You will need only one column in CSV to reset passwords for bulk users. Also, you can schedule to force users of a specific OU to reset passwords. Moreover, it has other features.
Here we are taking an email list of 50 users in Google Sheets. Do note that for this demonstration we have taken on 50 users, but in the real world, it can handle thousands of users at once. Download the Google sheet as CSV.
- Log in to Foresight with the Google Admin account. Head over to the Rules page and click on the new rule button in the bottom-right corner.
- 2. Select the Data uploaded trigger and upload the CSV file with the updated info. Wait for the file to be parsed. Then click on Next.
- Select the Require password change action.
- Then, you may need to give authorization for Foresight in the Google Workspace account. After a successful permission grant, you will see the Access granted status. Now select the Email in the User primary email field. Then choose true in the Require a password change at the next sign-in field and click on Review.
- Enter the Rule name and click on Create. You can see the rule has been created.
- Click on the upload icon and upload the same CSV file again. This process will take a few seconds.
- Some notifications will arrive in the top-right corner. Click on the notification icon and then click on View all. You can also visit the Logs page from the left sidebar. The logs show the rule is triggered successfully. All users are required to change their password at the next sign-in.
- Now confirm the result from the Google admin console. Go to the Directory > Users. Filter a user by his email and click on the Security section. There you will see the Required password change option become ON.
- Now test for the user’s account. So, log into the same test user’s account. You will see the user has been asked to reset the password after the login.
This is an overview of the bulk force password change for users at the next sign-in with Google Admin accounts using Foresight. Now, Foresight is a handy tool that helps you to carry out this task smoothly within a little time by automating the process. So, if you are interested then start with the 14-day free trial and keep exploring, following that you can opt for the premium service that will open up new possibilities for you.
You can read other articles related to this topic like -