In this blog post, we will learn how to bulk reset users passwords in Google Workspace. Every OU contains several users who are using Google’s service. A unique user has a unique password for managing their Google accounts. But sometimes, maybe a user forgets their password or some vulnerable activity happens in their accounts. In these emergencies, the Admin may have to reset passwords for one user or multiple users and notify the users about the password reset.
In this context, we will learn about this topic in detail and focus on Foresight’s automation work procedures for this purpose.
What is the purpose of Bulk Reset user password in Google Workspace
The purpose of bulk password reset for users’ Google accounts is to keep those accounts secure. Thus as an admin, you need the reset password for users. Here we are analyzing its utilities -
- You should recommend a strong and unique password with a certain quantity of numbers and characters for the users. This way, the user’s data, emails, files, and other contents will be safe. Thus, it defends Google accounts from any kind of hacking activities.
- If the Google Workspace admin needs to reset the Google Workspace password for multiple users in workspace, he will add or update users’ info through a CSV file. Additionally, you can reset all passwords for the entire OU or any group of employees in the Google admin console by following this process. It prevents the organization’s business reputation by defending it from any data leakage.
- Google workspace reset password works as a shield from using your password by someone else. But the admin requisites to reset the sign-in cookies of the users after resetting a password. It will ensure the users are not using old passwords again.
Thus we use reset Google Workspace password to increase the security of Google accounts and apps on Android, and iPhones. Furthermore, it’s useful for web apps, and other third-party apps.
Know how to Bulk Reset users passwords in Google Workspace with Foresight
Foresight is a SaaS platform to help businesses streamline and automate Google Workspace workflows without learning to code. It empowers administrators and users to design complex business workflows that cannot be done with native Google cloud services and work smarter. Though Admin Console enables this action in Google Workspace there is an advantage of using Foresight for this reason. It will notify the users with the updated password through their secondary email address.
Important to note
Here, you should remember that the secondary email must have another domain name rather than your primary email.
Here we are taking an email list of 10 users in Google Sheets. Do note that for this demonstration we have taken on 10 users, but in the real world, it can handle thousands of users at once. Download the Google sheet as CSV.
- Log in to Foresight with the Google Admin account. Head to the Rules page and click the new rule button in the bottom-right corner.
- Select the Data uploaded trigger and upload the CSV file with the updated info. Wait for the file to be parsed. Then click on Next.
- Select the Get user info action.
- Then, you may need to give authorization for Foresight in the Google Workspace account. After a successful permission grant, you will see the Access granted status. Now select the Email in the Primary email field.
- Click on Add Next Action. Select Generate password action. This action helps to create the combination of your password. Thus you need to set different parameters (Password length, Uppercase letters, Lowercase letters, Numbers, and Symbols) in this section.
- Again click on Add Next Action. Select Reset user password action. Then, select the User Primary Email variable in the User primary email field and Generated Password variable in the New password field. This action helps to identify the user and then apply the new password to that user. Then choose true in the Require a password change at the next sign-in field.
- Once more, you need to click on Add Next Action. Select the Email action.
- Now you have to select the Secondary Work Email variable in the To field. So, this action will send an email containing a new password to the secondary email address.
- Then, you should fill in the subject and email body. Here you need to add First Name and Generated Password variables. These variables will start with opening double curly brackets. Finally, click on Review.
- Enter the Rule name and click on Create.
You can see the rule has been created. It's time to trigger the rule. Click on the upload icon and upload the same CSV file again. This process will take a few seconds.
- Some notifications will arrive in the top-right corner. Click on the notification icon and then click on View Log. You can also visit the Logs page from the left sidebar. The logs show the rule is triggered successfully. All users are required to reset their password at the next sign-in.
- Now verify the result with Gmail. You will find a message received through your secondary email address. It includes your new Google workspace password. Copy that password for further actions.
- You would find the user automatically signed out from his Google account. Thus you need to sign in to your Google Workspace account by using the new password (that you received via email). So Enter your password then click Next. Now the user will have to enter a new desired password in the Create Password field and Confirm field, then click on Next.
- This happens because the Admin has selected the Reset password at the next sign-in option.
Wrapping it up
From this article, you gained the basic knowledge of Bulk Reset user passwords in Google Workspace and its benefits. Moreover, you came to know how Foresight can perform this action with ease. It’s a handy tool to perform this task with an automation workflow within a few times. Thus it increases productivity and services. So start your 14 days with a free trial with Foresight now!
You can read other articles related to this topic –