Safe Doc is a chrome extension that protects K12 students from using features improperly in G Suite for Education. It blocks unnecessary features like image search, video search or web search in Google Apps (Doc, Sheet, Slide, Form, Drawing, Classroom or more) so that students cannot exploit these features to find harmful content on the web.
What problems do Safe Doc solve?
In G Suite for Education running Chromebooks, students sometimes need to search images or videos and insert the artifacts in their work. It's a convenient feature for the majority but it exposes risks for younger students. While the Safe Search policy is indeed enforced, students still are able to find inappropriate images.
Google also pushes out new features periodically on G Suite that may adversely distract students from studying or "assist" students to interfere the classroom, such as sharing entertainment Google Drive docs to each other.
What are benefits of Safe Doc?
Safe Doc protects your students from searching inappropriate contents in G Suite. These age-restricted contents may be in forms of
- Harmful images (pornography, violence and etc.)
- Disturbing Youtube videos (Vulgar language, dangerous activities etc.)
- Web searches
Safe Doc helps your students focus on study. No fancy features in G Suite.
How does Safe Doc work?
Safe Doc is a chrome extension that removes inappropriate G Suite features in a configurable way. Without seeing these features, students will be less likely to try malicious actions. Here is a list of features Safe Doc offers.
Features of Safe Doc
- Block multiple entries that can trigger image searches in Google Doc, Sheet, Slides, Forms and Drawings. One of the examples is the menu item Insert > Image > Search the web.
- Block Youtube video search capabilities in Google Slides and Forms.
- Block Web search in Google Docs, Slides and Drawings.
- Block Explore feature in Docs, Slides and Drawings.
- Block Dictionary in Google Docs.
- Block insulting emojis in Gmail like the middle finger emoji.
- Configurable settings allowing you to block only part of features as needed.
- More features in the Support page.