In this blog, you will know all about how to set up Google Workspace for business. There are three types of business editions for Google Workspace. You can choose them according to your business size, such as small, medium, or large.
Google Workspace for Business provides a set of tools for interacting and collaborating with your customers and partners. It includes a custom professional email address for your business with your domain. This email address creates your unique identity for the users and increases your brand value.
Moreover, Google for Business provides advanced security configuration and improves communication through chat and meetings. Additionally, you will get extra cloud storage and other features for your organizational branding.
Setting up Google Workspace for small business
To set up your business account you should follow the details mentioned below –
- Get ready with your Admin Console
- First sign in to Google Workspace with your Admin account and Add account.
- Enter the email address and password for your administrative account. If you see multiple Google accounts on the sign-in page, ensure you’re choosing the admin account.
- Now, you can open the Admin Console from any Google app or Gmail. So, click the App Launcher from the top right corner of your admin account. Then click Admin.
Also, you can switch between your admin and personal accounts whenever you want. So, follow these simple steps –
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Click your profile initial or image from the extreme top right corner.
- Then, select the account you want to use. Also, you can Add account from the menu.
In this way, you can switch between multiple Google accounts.
- Set up a business account
The next step is to set up your business account with logo, billing, and security requirements.
- You can add logos on some of the service pages of Google Workspace like – Gmail, Drive, and Calendar. Your business logo will appear in your user’s window when they receive emails, files, or folders in Drive or meeting details through the calendar from your side. Your logo should be in either PNG or GIF format, and it shouldn’t be greater than 30 KB. To learn how to upload your logo and its policies, you must visit the page – Add your logo to Google Workspace.
- After uploading your logo, you must enable 2-step Verification for your business. It provides an additional layer of security and protects your business account from cyber criminals. It secures your username, password, important documents, emails, and more. You can use various methods for 2SV, such as security keys, backup codes, Google prompts, etc. But the recommended method is the security keys method. They are the strongest method, as the users don’t need to enter any code during sign-in. You can purchase compatible security keys, Titan Security Keys, or a phone’s built-in security key.
- You can check the payment status for your Google Workspace subscription through the Admin Console. You can check any transaction status like payment in progress, automatic payment, declined payment, or if automatic payment has declined. Also, you can manage your billing account by updating your billing and business email addresses or canceling your subscription. You can choose any payment plan between an Annual/Fixed-Term Plan and a Flexible Plan. Know more about billing and payments from here.
- Moreover, follow the security checklist for your business, such as – using a unique password, including recovery information or an admin account, creating a super admin account, and more.
- Set up email for your business
- Before using a Gmail account for business, you must change the MX records for your domain. Your MX records help the sender's computer find out where to deliver your company's emails. These records help to direct incoming messages for your company to Google's mail servers.
- After that, authenticate your organizational emails with SPF (Sender Policy Framework). SPF protects your domain from spoofing and outgoing messages from being marked as spam. The receiving mail servers use SPF to verify that you're the owner of the emails sent from your domain. It ensures that your identity is not stolen by a cybercriminal. For more security, Google suggests adding DKIM and DMARC for your email authentication.
- Moreover, you can provide additional or alternate email addresses for your customers. These are called email aliases. Suppose a user has an inquiry about different departmental works of your OU, such as finance, sales, and support. In this case, you can provide three alternate email addresses for enquiries related to these departments.
- Manage your team’s identity
- You should add accounts for your team members to enable Google Workspace services from your side for them. An account gives their sign-in information – name and password, email address with your domain name, and a profile. You can learn the steps for adding users’ accounts from here.
- Then, you can add secondary domains and alias domains for your Google Workspace account. For this, you need to go to Menu > Account > Domains > Manage domains from Admin Console.
- Also, you can turn any service on or off for the users and make another user an admin if required.
- Manage contacts, groups, and calendar
- You can add, update, and manage your contacts through Google Workspace for business. Also, you can organize the contacts within a group, merge and fix duplicate contacts, etc. Learn the steps from here.
- Create a group for your employees for seamless communication and collaboration. You can easily share content, meetings, or event invitations, create a Collaborative Inbox through Google Groups for business, and send emails to all group members.
- You can share your organization’s calendar with the people within your OU or the public. Also, you can control your calendar access through specific access permissions or full access permissions. Users who have full access permission can create and edit event details, share their calendars with other users, and delete them.
- Data Migration
You can move your OU’s data from email, files, folders, calendars, permissions, and third-party service providers to Google Workspace. For example, you can migrate data from Microsoft Outlook to Google Workspace, migrate your data from Microsoft Exchange to Google Workspace, migrate your data from shared files with Google Workspace Migrate, etc. Know about other migrating options from Migrate your organization’s data to Google Workspace.
- Cloud storage
- You can use the Customs Drive template for our business. These custom templates also allow users to utilize business-specific templates from Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms, and Sites. But you must have the privilege of being a Drive and Docs administrator.
- You can also control external sharing of your organizational files and folders through the Admin Console. You can create restrictions on sharing items from Drive, Docs, Slides, Site project files, Sheets, etc. This action helps you to enable or disable external sharing, create restrictions on link sharing, and sharing with specific domains, and restrict external users from accessing files in shared drives.
- Manage mobile devices
Google’s endpoint management protects your OU’s data across company-owned devices and user’s devices. Advanced mobile management enhances security for Android and iOS devices. The Endpoint verification provides security for laptops and computers.
Get more guides for using Google services on your mobiles, laptops, and computers from here.
Optional settings on Google Workspace for businesses
As a business owner, you can enable a pilot for your Google Workspace account. For an organization, a pilot team can test Gmail and other services from Google Workspace before anyone starts using these services. So, you can set dual delivery for your pilot Gmail. In this case, you can use the legacy server as your primary email server.
Enhance your business growth
- Your business should be discoverable on Google Search and Maps. Thus it’s essential to create your business profile and verify it. Also, you must update your business information time by time and improve your local ranking for Google search results.
- Add a Google Analytics account to measure your website’s performance. You need to set up a Google Analytics 4 property, a Google Analytics code, and a data stream for this reason. The insights from Google Analytics help to improve return on investment, understand customers’ behavior, enhance digital marketing opportunities, and create more innovative ideas for your business.
- Using Smart campaigns is another way to increase your sales via more interaction with customers, and generate leads for your business. By using performance ads in Smart campaigns you can select keywords for your business, set up your current location, select a language for your ads, and show your products to the customers. Your ad will appear on users’ search results when they search keywords related to your business. Also, you can set video ads to gain more engagement from YouTube. The customers will see your video ads if their interests match your language, location, and demographic settings.
Manage your Google Workspace workflows effortlessly with Foresight
Foresight is a scalable and flexible SaaS platform to streamline your business operations, growth, and productivity. This Google Cloud Partner provides a smart automation solution for managing Google Workspace workflows. As a result, the admin and users never miss any deadline for completing their tasks. So, it improves their efficiency too.
Its use cases become adaptable for different types of industries, such as IT, finance, and e-commerce, with different sizes. Learn different use cases with Foresight, such as – Create Google Workspace Users By Schedule, etc.
Now you know Know all about how to set up Google Workspace for business. The process requires lots of settings, permissions, and security setups. You can learn more about this from Google Workspace Learning Center and Google Cloud Skills Boost. Also, embark on your journey with Foresight and apply its use cases for your business. So, start a 14-day free trial with this platform.