Xlsx and CSV are two of the most popular formats for saving tabulated data. But what is the purpose of each format? When should they be used, and how to convert one form to another? These are some basic but important questions that need to be answered. This knowledge will aid us in using these two file formats more efficiently. So we will cover how to export excel as CSV and bulk export these CSV files using Foresight.
Why/when save excel as CSV?
Many times, you need to save excel as CSV. But have you thought about the reason behind this step? Why do you need to save excel as CSV? There are three main reasons that we save excel files in CSV format. These reasons are:
- Primarily, the reason for this is to make the process of exporting and importing the data easy.
- Secondly, it helps to store a large amount of data. For example, say you have 50,000 entries to be made in a file. It is better for you to save the data in CSV format.
- When you need to transfer excel data to another application like the Address Book in MS Outlook or Access Database, it is easier to import if this data is saved in CSV format.
- The data saved in CSV format consumes less memory, so you can save more in less space.
So, it is economical and pragmatic to save excel as CSV. In the next step, we will learn how to export excel as CSV.
How to Export Excel as CSV
For exporting an Excel file (.xlsx or .xls) in the CSV format, you need to follow the steps given below:
- In your excel workbook, go to the worksheet you want to save. Remember that the active sheet will only be converted.
- Click on the tab which says File. After that click on Save As. You can also press the F12 key to open the Save As dialog box. After that, you will see the other formats option. Click on that.
- In the Save As type dialog box, pick the CSV format you want from the drop-down menu. You can select either CSV (Comma delimited) or CSV UTF-8. Pick the destination folder where you want to save this file and click Save.
These are the steps you need to take when you export to excel as CSV. In the next section, we will see how to export CSV to google sheets.
How to import CSV to Google sheets
There are instances when you need to use Google Spreadsheets to view or share CSV files with others. These are those instances when you need to convert CSV to Google Sheets. It is a simple process:
- Open a Google Sheet, and click File > Import.
- After that, you need to Click Upload and upload the CSV, and then click Import data.
How to export Google Sheets as CSV
- Go to the File > Download > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).
You have completed the process to export csv to Google Sheets This is the procedure to export csv to Google Sheets. For small pieces of data, you can directly copy paste it into the Google Sheet.
Bulk export CSV from Google sheets with Foresight
Foresight is a SaaS platform to help businesses streamline and automate Google Workspace workflows without learning to code. It empowers administrators and users to design complex business workflows that cannot be done with native Google cloud services and work smarter.
Foresight helps Google Workspace Admin to get different types of data. For example, he can:
- Export all active or suspended users
- Export list of groups
- Export list of group members
- Export Provisioned or disabled chrome devices
In this blog post, we will export all active users in a given month.
- Sign In to your Foresight account.
- Go to the Rules page and click on the New Rule button.
- Select Manual trigger.
- Select the List Users action.
- Follow these steps here.
- First, you may need to grant permission to Foresight.
- Then leave the rest of the fields as they are except the User Suspended. Select False in the User Suspended field. Click Review.
- Enter the Rule Name and click Create.
- As you can see the rule has been created. Now click on the Play icon to trigger the rule.
- After the rule is triggered, a notification will appear in the top right corner, click on it and click Show All, or go to the Logs page. You can see the log shows the successful execution of the rule. Click on the notification icon, then click SHOW ALL, and then click View log. There you can download the CSV from the link.
- Here is the list of all active users.
Foresight is one of the best apps if you want to perform any bulk actions in Google Workspace. It automates the workflow without requiring you to write any code or program. With Foresight, you can even bulk move all chrome devices from one organization unit to another using a CSV. You can even automate other actions in Google workspace using Foresight and CSVs.